Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Where Do You Knit?

Young knitters in Madison are having a hard time forming good knitting groups. At least, that's what I'm getting from Madam and the writer of this blog.
To be honest, I'm not big on knitting groups. I do enjoy knitting with friends that knit, but the few knitting groups I've been to have made me long for something more. Like beer or wine or some kind of cocktail. Something to make things more exciting. SweaterGirl and I have discussed plans to create a bar/knitting store. I'm not sure how things would work out, since I wouldn't want tipsy knitters to spill their drinks on the yarn or poke somebody with a stick. But the conversations would be sparkling and ideas flowing freely and probably a lot of laughter and tears, since that's what knitters do. And I have an idea in my head that a tipsy knitter will buy a lot of yarn.
I think it would be great if Madison had a young knitters' group. Not too young, because even though I have a vast depth of patience, it runs out quickly when I'm around whippersnappers.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Blargh. I started commenting and realized that I was writing a large philosophical blog entry all on its own. (Big surprise :P)

Part of my problem is a lack of car, though the summer is better for that. I'm sure there are lots of others out there who either share a car that is often used for other things or don't have a car at all. And I'm perfectly willing to ride a bike or the bus during the day, but not so much at night.

ily said...

I hear there are knitters that hang out at the java escape on willie. I was there earlyish one morning and didn't see any knitters, but there was knitted java jackets for sale. Otherwise I guess coffee shops, that's what I do when I am in town anyway - but then I am usually knitting alone too...

Anonymous said...

There is a pretty nice size group that meets up at Escape on Wednesday evenings. People usually start getting there at around 5 and stay until however late. There's also a Yahoo group for it SNBMadison.